PARISH NURSING MINISTRY
Parish Nursing is a health ministry of faith communities which emphasizes the wholeness of body, mind and spirit. Rooted in the vision of Christ as Healer, this ministry grows out of the belief that all faith communities are places of health and healing and have a role in promoting wholeness through the integration of faith and health.
Health Ministry: A Circle of Care for your Congregation (produced by Isabel Cutler and Nancy Wiggins)
The Canadian Association for Parish Nursing Ministry (CAPNM) is committed to the development of parish nursing as a health and ministry resource within Canada.
Parish Nursing is recognized as an essential dimension in the integration of faith and health within diverse faith communities throughout Canada.
A parish nurse is a registered nurse with specialized knowledge, who is called to ministry and affirmed by a faith community to promote health, healing and wholeness.
THE ROLE OF A PARISH NURSE
The role of a parish nurse is to promote the integration of faith and health in a variety of ways that reflect the context of the faith community.
Specific examples include:
- Health advocacy
- Health counselling
- Health education
- Resource referral
CAPNM welcomes new members, sponsors and partnering organizations.
The Canadian Association for Parish Nursing Ministry:
- Includes as essential shareholders parish nurses, nursing educators, theological educators, faith communities and partnering organizations.
- Recognizes that parish nurse ministry is a grass-roots ministry.
- Affirms and fosters local parish nurse initiatives.
- Celebrates the diversity of parish nurse programs across Canada.
- To develop parish nursing as a health and ministry resource within Canada.
- To bring together the individuals and groups that are vital to the parish nursing ministry: parish nurses, faith communities, and other individuals and organizations supportive of the parish nursing ministry by developing and providing seminars, lectures, workshops and resources in an annual conference format in the field of Parish Nursing Ministry leading to Parish Nursing Ministry development by registered nurses and other interested members of the public.
- To provide parish nurse resources by providing centralized information about Parish Nursing Ministry development in Canada through newsletters, website and contact information.
- To secure financial sustainability for the organization and promote the funding of the parish nursing ministry.
- To foster and develop parish nursing ministry identity, education, practice standards, and research in relationship with each other through the development of guidelines for curriculum development of Parish Nursing Ministry education programs for educational institutions and other interested groups and the development and recommendation of Standards of Practice for Parish Nursing Ministry.
As stated in the bylaws of CAPNM incorporated in December 2001 and revised in May 2003
For more information on Parish Nursing or for comments please e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
This site was created and is maintained by Gloria Grasser Morash
This site was last updated on: